Sunday, March 2, 2014

another vegetarian sausage patty...

Today I tried MorningStar Farms Original Veggie Sausage Patties.  Each serving has 80 calories, 3g fat, 5g carbs, and 10g protein.  Serving size is one patty.  I also bought the maple flavor, which I reviewed yesterday.

I baked the patty, since that's the recommended method.  I popped it into the toaster oven and set it to bake at 350 for 11 minutes.  I skipped the foil this time.  There's no grease so it's not necessary.  When the patty was done cooking I scrambled one egg with a little milk.

In terms of how the sausage looked, it looked just like a regular breakfast sausage patty, but darker, and is about the same size as most.  I cut it with my fork and it cut easily.  In terms of texture, it's fairly similar to a real sausage patty, but it has a slightly different mouth feel.  Since it's made with textured vegetable protein (TVP) and not meat, that's to be expected.  The outside was crispy and the inside was soft, but not mushy.  The flavor was good.  It was pretty similar to real breakfast sausage and I tasted a tiny hint of spice.  By the way, make sure you bake or pan fry these patties. I think the microwave would make them mushy or rubbery.

I think this is a good product and I would buy it again.  I preferred the original flavor over the maple flavor, though. The maple was a little too sweet.  If you keep in mind that it's not real meat and you adjust your expectations accordingly, you won't be disappointed.

Here's my plate:  one scrambled egg and one MSF patty.  I ate the whole patty and almost all of the egg.


No comments:

Post a Comment