Thursday, February 25, 2016

protein bar review: no cow bar


Yes, that's the name of it:  No Cow Bar by D's Naturals

It's a vegan protein bar.  According to their website, they're "all natural, no-sugar added and vegan friendly as well as free of gluten, dairy, soy and lactose."  Rather than whey or milk protein, they use plant-based protein.  These bars don't have any added sugar (just 1 to 2g), and barely any sugar alcohols (just 3 to 4g),which I like. Fat is low, as well, at just 2.5g.  Calories are about 160-170, which is pretty good for a protein bar.



My initial thought on taste was, "Blech!"  I realize now that my initial reaction was more of a reaction to the texture than taste.  That said, though, I don't care all that much for the Peanut Butter Cookie Dough flavor.  I just don't get a lot of peanut butter taste from it. It kind of all melded together to taste like a generic protein bar.  I also tried the Mint Cacao Chip and Blueberry Cobbler.  I think the mint one is my favorite:  it was chocolate-y and minty, and very satisfying.  I also enjoyed the blueberry, which wasn't too sweet tasting.  Something I noticed about the blueberry, though, is that it was a bit oily on the outside.  I don't know if it's because Bob took a bite (he didn't like it) and then I put it away for awhile before finishing it, and therefore the air exposure made it oily, or if it was that way to begin with.  I just didn't notice.

The plant-based protein changes the texture somewhat.  It's not like a Quest Bar that's pretty firm and mostly smooth.  No Cow Bars are softer and a little gritty.  It's not unpleasant, though.  According to their website the texture comes from the plant-based protein; however, I tend to think it comes more from the almonds in it.  They're very small, but they create a bit of a crunch, which I like. 

Overall, I found these bars to be good.  And I like that they don't have a lot of sugar alcohols, which usually make my stomach a little queasy. They're satisfying and taste pretty good.  The fact that they use plant-based protein is one reason why I wouldn't buy them very often, though, since I'm supposed to be sticking to protein isolates.  Isolates break down faster in the body, which is what a gastric bypass surgery patient needs.  But I would have one once in while in a pinch or as a treat.



2 comments:

  1. Oh, thank you for this! I'm allergic to soy, and have been trying to find soy free protein bars. I like Lara Bars, but I've been wanting something else, too. I shall have to see if anywhere up here in Canadaland sells them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to have Lara bars, but they have a lot sugar, which I should limit. They are quite tasty, though!

      I found the No Cow Bars in GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, and Bed Bath and Beyond. Not sure if you have those stores up there. I'm guessing most nutrition stores would have them.

      Delete