Tuesday, February 25, 2014

my two-month follow up...

Yesterday I had my two-month follow-up with the bariatric doctor.  We reviewed my blood work and all is well.  I'm a little low on vitamin A and B12, but that's apparently normal for the first year post-op.  I'm going to buy new vitamins when I run out of the ones I have now.  The new ones contain everything I need except the extra calcium.  Anything that allows me to take less supplements is a good thing.

I've lost 15 pounds since my last appointment a month ago, for a grand total of...61.2 lbs!  I'm almost halfway to my goal.  I'm not shrinking out of any of my clothes yet, which is kind of a blessing at the moment, but my shirts are definitely getting bigger on me and are hanging better.  I don't notice any difference in my pants yet.

So, how do I feel physically?  Before surgery I always felt like I was wearing a big down parka with layers of clothing underneath and a scarf around my neck, if that makes sense.  Just imagine how it feels having all that clothing on.  The scarf is snug against your neck.  (Or imagine a turtleneck  Whichever one you hate most.  I hate both.) You can't move as well as when you're dressed normally.  Moving is an effort.  You're hot all the time because of all those layers.  If it helps, picture Randy in that movie A Christmas Story getting ready for school everyday.  Since the surgery, I feel as though I've shed my big down parka and my scarf (or turtleneck). And maybe one layer.  I'm not hot all the time anymore.  I have more energy.  I can move better and actually want to move.  And my knees don't bother me anymore.

Emotionally, I feel fine.  I didn't go through all the emotions I was told I would probably go through. Apparently, this surgery can really mess with the hormones and make people very emotional, kind of like PMSing all the time.  Lots of people say they put off making any life-changing decisions in the first year after surgery, because of how irrational it can make one feel.  Maybe I'm OK, because I kind of just said to myself, "This is my new life now.  End of story."  And I don't think about it.

Do I mourn food?  Not really. Do I mourn the experience of enjoying food?  Yes!  More on that later in the week.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats Dawn that is a big weight loss!!! I bet you look like a million bucks:)

    ReplyDelete