Thursday, February 13, 2014

Calcet Creamy Bites review...

Life after gastric bypass surgery involves taking vitamins and supplements daily for the rest of one's life. Because the surgery creates malabsorption by bypassing part of the small intestine, my body isn't able to absorb all the vitamins and minerals from the foods I eat.  So, I have to supplement that:  two multivitamins, three calcium citrates, and one vitamin D3.  Everyday.  For the rest of my life.  This early out from surgery I have to use chewables, which is fine with me because most of them taste like candy and I always hated swallowing those gigantic horse pills.

There are two types of calcium:  carbonate and citrate.  Carbonate is most common and is less expensive, but requires stomach acid to dissolve and absorb it.  Citrate is more expensive, but doesn't need stomach acid to dissolve and be absorbed.  Gastric bypass patients have to take calcium citrate because our new stomach doesn't produce any stomach acid.

I decided before surgery that for my calcium I would take Calcet Creamy Bites, which are citrate.  I buy the Chocolate Fudge flavor, but they also have Lemon Cream. They are so delicious!  It makes me feel as though I'm eating brownies.  Since I'm not supposed to be eating sweets, I figured this will satisfy my sweet tooth and make me feel like I'm having dessert.  And I get to have three of them a day. :)  I look forward to these and make sure they last a few bites.

Here's the link if you want to check them out:  Calcet Creamy Bites

By the way, this is purely my own opinion and I'm not paid by the company that makes the product.

No comments:

Post a Comment