Saturday, April 26, 2014

today's breakfast

I've been looking for breakfast sausage that's different, lower in fat and calories, and higher in protein.  On my last trip to BJ's Wholesale, I found chicken sausage that seemed to fit the bill.  It's called Harvestland Maple and Apple Chicken Breakfast Sausage.  A serving is two links (57g).  Two very big links.  A serving has 100 calories, 5g fat, 3g carbs, and 11g protein.

I cooked them in the frying pan with some cooking spray, then I added a little water and put the lid on for a few minutes.  Then I took them out and used the same pan to fry my egg.

I was able to finish the meal, mainly because I fried the egg rather than scrambling it.  I find a runny yolk takes up less room in my stomach.

I wasn't thrilled with this sausage.  They cooked up well and had a good texture.  I like the size of the links and the nutritional stats, but the flavor was too fake-maple-y.  All I could taste was maple and not the chicken or the apple. This isn't something I would buy again.  Maybe if it was just chicken and apple flavor, I would.



1 comment:

  1. They're ok. I think they would be better without the maple flavoring. I would eat them again.

    ReplyDelete