Sunday, April 6, 2014

breakfast experiment: refrigerator oats

I've been meaning to post this and kept forgetting.  During the Cooking Cure challenge I tried a recipe for refrigerator oats.  Basically you take steel-cut oats and put them in a jar or container with some milk and add your flavorings.  Then you seal the container and put in the fridge overnight.  In the morning you get a consistency of chewy GrapeNuts cereal.  Very, very chewy.

For my recipe I used 1/3 cup of steel-cut oats, 2/3 cup of skim milk, a few dashes of cinnamon, and some raisins.  I let it soak for about 24 hours or so.

I didn't care for this method of making oatmeal.  I found it to be way too chewy and all the chewing just diminished the flavor.  If I were to have oatmeal in the future, I would use the steel-cut oats, but would make them in the crockpot over night.




No comments:

Post a Comment