Sunday, April 20, 2014

cannoli creme-filled strawberries

Happy Easter!

Today I'm headed to my sister's house for Easter dinner, then over to my sister-in-laws for another meal.  I asked my sister if I should bring something and she said to bring something I can eat for dessert.  Since I seem to have lost my sweet tooth, I decided I wouldn't bring anything at all.  But then I saw a recipe for strawberries filled with cannoli-flavored creme (here).  Since there's no added sugar, and I had a whole tub of ricotta in the fridge, I figured I'd make it to bring today.

I changed the recipe a little.  I find the Torani SF syrups to be a little too sweet sometimes, so I used 3/4 tsp of bourbon vanilla extract and 1.5 packets of Splenda instead.  Besides, why not use real vanilla?  I also doubled the ricotta,.because it looked like I had more the 12 strawberries in the package.  This is really something you can adjust to your own tastes.  I like a strong vanilla flavor, but if you don't just drop the vanilla down to 1/2 tsp.  And if it's too sweet, drop the Splenda down to 1 packet.

Cannoli Creme-filled Strawberries

24 large ripe strawberries, washed & cored
1 cup ricotta cheese
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 packets of Splenda
a few dashes of cinnamon

Toppings for dipping (optional):
unsweetened coconut
chocolate chips or grated chocolate
chopped nuts

Wash and core strawberries.  Set aside. If the strawberries are very juicy, put them upside down on a paper towel so they can drain a little.

Mix the ricotta, vanilla, Splenda, and cinnamon together.

Spoon mixture into a Ziploc bag and seal (or use a cake decorating bag fitted with a star tip, if you have that).

Cut end off the plastic bag and pipe the mixture into the strawberries. Dip into optional toppings.






No comments:

Post a Comment