Sunday, February 8, 2015

sunday breakfast

Today I tried something different:  baked eggs.

I've seen them on the Internet and it looked quick and easy, so I decided to give it a try.  I had a ton of turkey bacon in the freezer so I decided to defrost it.  I cooked some for Bob's breakfast and used the rest for the baked eggs.  There may have been some snacking in between...

The baked eggs came out good, but next time I will partially cook the bacon first; it was too soft for me and created a watery bottom.  I cooked them for about 16 minutes, which is about 4-5 minutes more than what the recipe called for.  I found after 12 minutes the eggs were more like a sunny side up and I'm not into that.  I even broiled them for a couple minutes after the 16 minutes of baking.  It produced a semi-cooked yolk, which was thick, but still a bit runny.

Bob got the leftover chicken taco mix I made last night.  (I made chicken taco quesadillas, which I'll post soon.  It's ground chicken, taco seasoning, chicken broth, scallions, and black beans.)  I put it into an egg omelet with cheddar cheese, toasted an English muffin, and gave him a few strips of turkey bacon.  The omelet was HUGE!

Baked Eggs
Makes 6 eggs

6 pieces of cooked bacon (I used turkey)
6 eggs
2 TB milk
Salt and pepper
Shredded cheddar cheese


  1. Preheat the oven to 325.
  2. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
  3. Line each cup with one piece of bacon.
  4. Crack an egg into each cup.
  5. Pour a little milk over each egg.
  6. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  7. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
  8. Bake for 10-12 minutes for sunny side up.  I baked them for about 16 minutes, which set the whites on top.
  9. Serve immediately, or store in the fridge for use in egg sandwiches.



Bob's breakfast.  As you can see, there's big difference in our meal sizes.






No comments:

Post a Comment