Wednesday, February 18, 2015

strawberry cream cheese cobbler

We usually don't make or buy desserts, but since I had strawberries in the freezer that have been there a longgg time, I figured I should use them up as part of my "Eat Through the Kitchen" challenge.

I got this recipe from Facebook (here).   I saw it a few weeks ago and then promptly forgot about it.  But now that I was going to eat through everything in my freezer, I figured now would be a good time to try it.  It seemed very easy and I had everything on hand (that rarely happens).

When I mixed up the batter and then poured it into the melted butter, I was a little skeptical as to how it would bake up.  It just looked very oily and the batter was very thin, not like a typical cake batter.  But I figured if it didn't come out good I didn't waste any money on it.  Sure, I wasted some ingredients that I bought at one point, but it wasn't like I bought these ingredients for this specific purpose.

I was a little nervous about using frozen strawberries since frozen fruit usually gives off a lot of water.  But I wasn't going to buy fresh, so I had to use them.  I defrosted them and drained them as best as I could.  I spread them out on top of the batter and then put the cream cheese on top of that.

The results?  It was really good.  It wasn't soggy like I thought it would be. Although I think if I had used fresh strawberries, the bottom of the crust wouldn't have been so dense.  No big deal though.

I have two bags of frozen mixed berries and I'm thinking about making this again using those berries.





Strawberry Cream Cheese Cobbler

1 stick butter
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
1 cup of all Purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 Teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 quarts whole strawberries, washed and tops off
(Note:  I used 2 pounds of frozen strawberries)
4 oz cream cheese, cut into small pieces.

Preheat oven 350 degrees.

Melt butter and pour into 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish.

In a small bowl mix together the egg,milk,flour,sugar,baking powder, and salt.

Pour the mixture directly over the butter in the baking dish, but do not stir.

Add the strawberries,arranging in a single layer as much as possible. Sprinkle cream cheese pieces over strawberries.

Place in preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes or until top is golden brown and edges are bubbling. The crust will rise up over the fruit.



No comments:

Post a Comment