Wednesday, February 4, 2015

chicken taco egg muffins

I seem to have a bit of an obsession with buying eggs lately.  Just about every time I go to the store I end up buying eggs.  Usually because I'm planning on making egg muffins, or I'm planning on making Bob's weekday breakfasts ahead of time.  Anyway, I've bought so many eggs that I had about 5 dozen in the fridge,  Yes, 5 dozen.  I'm a sucker for the 2 1/2 dozen packs they sell in Walmart.  I've been trying hard to spend less out of necessity and this is usually the best deal.  It's not like I won't use the eggs, so why not buy them?

I haven't made egg muffins in awhile so I decided this weekend I would make some. I didn't want to make sausage and goat cheese again since I already have a ton of those in the freezer.  I wanted something different, preferably with ingredients I already have on hand.  I also wanted something that uses taco seasoning.  When I moved to the new house I bought a monster container of it at BJ's Wholesale.  Six months later, I have no idea why I thought I needed that much and now I need to start using it.

I ended up making up my own recipe and I'm calling it Chicken Taco Egg Muffins.  I browned half a pound of ground chicken, then added onions and scallions.  Once that was cooked I added taco seasoning and water.  Once thickened it mixed in black beans and then added the mixture to beaten eggs.  I poured it all into a muffin tin and topped with shredded cheddar cheese.

They were pretty good, but next time I might add some corn, or maybe put chunks of cheddar in the mixture.

Chicken Taco Egg Muffins

8 oz. ground chicken
1/2 a medium onion, diced
3 Scallions, sliced
1 cup black beans, rinsed
10 Eggs
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack

Directions

Preheat oven to 350°.  Lightly spray a 12-cup muffin tin with non-stick spray.

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground chicken with the onions.  Add the scallions and black beans.  Mix in 1/3 cup water and taco seasoning.  Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer 3-4 minutes until thickened.  

In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs.  Mix meat mixture into the eggs.  

Pour mixture into muffin tin and top each cup with cheese.  Bake for 25 minutes.
Pop them out of the pan within 10 minutes so they don't stick to the bottom of the pan.
 
You can top these with some sour cream and salsa if you want to.

These taste best when warm from the oven, but they will chill or freeze and reheat just fine for at least 4 to 5 days.  If using the microwave to reheat, use 60% power so they don't turn out rubbery or hard around the edges.  100% power might kill them.







No comments:

Post a Comment