Monday, February 16, 2015

challenge: eat through the kitchen

No, I'm not going to eat the kitchen counters and walls.  Although sometimes I swear I'm hungry enough to do that.  What this means is I am going to challenge myself to eat up everything in the kitchen cabinets, fridge, and freezer before going shopping again.  Actually, let me amend that:  I'm not going to buy meat and pantry items until I use up what I have.  Obviously, I will need milk, eggs, bread and certain other things.

I've been thinking about doing this for awhile, but it wasn't a necessity so I just forgot about it.  But lately Bob and I have had some really tough times and economizing is important right now.  What really prompted me to do this, though, was looking through my cabinets and freezer last week for something to make.  While I was looking I saw a few things I totally forgot about and I had to toss them due to freezer burn or missed expiration dates.  What a waste of money!  So, that's when I decided to challenge myself.

This weekend I made a list of just about every single food item I own; it was long list!  I figure that will help me to see at a glance what I have without having to rummage through everything.  And by studying the list it should also help me to think up some recipes, or get me to Googling so I can find new ones to try.

In addition to saving money and finding new recipes to try (and cooking more!), I'm guessing this will help me make better purchases in the future.  Ever find something in the freezer or cabinet and wonder why you bought it?  And does having to actually eat it make you just toss it out because you haven't a clue what to do with it or it just doesn't look as good as it did in the store?

I plan to post my meals here so everyone can see my progress.  I already started (with great results!) so plan on seeing a post or two soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment