Thursday, February 26, 2015

homemade onion dip

A few weeks ago I bought a couple bags of onions.  They were buy one get one free so, of course, I did.  But what to do with all the onions?  I don't always think ahead when I see deals in the store, but onions keep awhile so I wasn't worried about it.

Fast forward three weeks and I still have 5 huge onions to use up.  So, I went in search of a French onion soup recipe.  I found one that looked pretty easy.  I was all excited to make it, then realized I didn't have enough beef broth.  Story of my life.  Then I remembered I had bought plain Greek yogurt because I wanted to make a ranch dip for celery (I'm always seeing low fat recipes using Greek yogurt for gastric bypass patients).  I checked the Kitchn website to see what they had for dip recipes and came up with an onion dip recipe.  Perfect!  I'll use up all the onions and use the Greek yogurt I bought.  Plus, I had forgotten to buy onion dip when we bought chips the other day, so this was the perfect solution; I'm known for buying chips and forgetting the dip.

It wasn't difficult to make and I had all the ingredients.  Alright, I didn't have the fresh thyme, but who usually does?  Instead, I used about 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme.  I didn't have to buy anything, thus keeping in like with my plan to eat through the kitchen.  The recipe says it takes at least 15 minutes to caramelize the onions.  Half an hour, or more, is more like it.  Also, they didn't get to the deep brown color shown on the website.  They were browned in some places, but not as brown as they should be.  I'm guessing they would need much longer to cook to get that deep color.

The dip tasted good.  The base is plain Greek yogurt, so it definitely did not taste like the the standard French onion dip we're all used to, but it was good.  And, boy, was it onion-y!!  After the first bite I couldn't tell, but Bob said my breath was horrific. And I could definitely still taste it the next day.  Good way to keep people at bay. ;)

Next time I make this I plan to cook the onions longer and buy a better brand of chips.  All we had was store brand and they had a tough time holding up to this dip.

Here's the recipe I followed:  French Onion Dip with Caramelized Onions and Greek Yogurt




No comments:

Post a Comment