Saturday, February 14, 2015

chicken taco quesadillas

I'm very late in posting this, but better late than never, right?

I made chicken taco quesadillas last weekend.  It's a good way to use up some odds and ends I had hanging around in my fridge and cabinets.  It also helped me to start working my through my industrial-sized container of taco seasoning.

These were delicious, although a tad bit messy.  I would have like some sour cream for dipping, but I didn't have it and didn't feel like running to the store.

I was able to eat two wedges, or half a quesadilla.  Guess who got the other two??


Chicken Taco Quesadillas
Makes 4 whole 6-inch quesadillas

8 oz. ground chicken
1/2 a medium onion, diced
3 Scallions, sliced
1 cup black beans, rinsed
8 6-inch flour tortillas
Shredded cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack, whatever amount you want

Directions

Filling:

Lightly spray a large skillet with non-stick spray.

Over medium-high heat, brown ground chicken with the onions.  Mix in 1/3 cup water and taco seasoning.  Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer 3-4 minutes until thickened.  Add the scallions and black beans and heat through.


Quesadillas:

Heat a clean non-stick skillet (don't spray with cooking spray).  Heat for a minute or two over medium heat.

Put one tortilla in the skillet.  Add shredded cheese to cover.  Add the filling on top.  Put more shredded cheese over the filling.  Put another tortilla on top to cover.  As an alternative you could top one half of the tortilla and then fold it over and cook.  That's the way they do it in the restaurant, but either way is fine.

Cook for at least two minutes and then carefully flip to cook the other side.  The idea is to brown the tortilla and melt the cheese.



Once finished, move the quesadilla to a cutting board and cut into wedges.  Assemble and cook the remaining quesadillas.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment