Wednesday, January 7, 2015

pancakes!

I made pancakes over the weekend.  I had a ton of buttermilk leftover from the banana cupcakes I made last month.  It drives me nuts that I can't buy just a pint of buttermilk.  I always have to buy a quart.  I use 2/3 cup for the banana cake and then have to figure out what to do with it.

I use Martha Stewart's recipe for buttermilk pancakes (here's the recipe).  I'm not overly fond of her, but she has some good recipes.  The pancakes come out very light and thin, almost delicate.  And I like that this recipe uses up the rest of the buttermilk.

I treated myself to my first pancake since my surgery one year ago.  I know, I know. I'm not supposed to eat pancakes.  Or bread.  Or pasta.  But you know what?  I'm not dead.  I had weight loss surgery.  Life isn't over and shouldn't totally devoid of enjoyment.  It's one pancake in a year so I'm gonna enjoy it.  Some post-ops are militant about their diet, but that's just not me.  I want to learn to eat to live, but still feel like I'm enjoying myself.

So, did I enjoy it?  Eh.  Not so much.  It tasted good.  It had just the right amount of butter (yes, real butter!) and sugar-free syrup (can't compromise on that, unfortunately), but it seemed too doughy.  Normally I like pancakes that are thin and not cakey, and I used to like these pancakes, but it just didn't do it for me.  I finished it, along with one piece of breakfast sausage.

It's not burnt, just dark around the edges.  Camera doesn't always take good pics when I'm using white plates.




No comments:

Post a Comment