Friday, January 16, 2015

a different take on lunch meat

Before my surgery I used to love eating sandwiches, especially with chips added on top.  But I'm trying to stay away from bread since it will stall my weight loss.  I still want to eat some lunch meat though since it's a good protein source.

I've tried having it rolled up with cheese and dipped in some light mayo.  That was OK, but not thrilling.  For awhile I was sensitive to nitrates so lunch meat usually bothered my stomach and I just stayed away.  But then I found a couple brands of lunch meat that are nitrate-free, which were good, but without the bread it just wasn't the same.  So, what to do?

I read a few weight loss blogs and all of them have one recipe in common:  lunch meat melts.  Basically, it's lunch meat rolled around cheese and whatever else you want.  You then fry it in a pan for a few minutes until the cheese melts.  I gave it a try since I had some turkey to use up.

The results?  It was super quick to make and tasted great.  Makes me think I'm eating something totally new and the cheese isn't as overwhelming.  For some reason, the flavor of American cheese seems a little overwhelming when you're eating it with just lunch meat and no bread.

I'm glad I found a different way to enjoy lunch meat.  It made me a little sad to think that I wouldn't be eating it anymore. While there aren't any foods that bother me now, there are foods I've chosen not to eat simply because I no longer like the texture or it tastes different. Lunch meat is WAS one of them.  Not anymore!








No comments:

Post a Comment