Thursday, July 3, 2014

my first hot dog!

Although I don't normally crave hot dogs, I've found myself wanting one this last week or so.   I eat a lot of Greek yogurt and egg bites.  Time to move on; I want something different.

I've found through trial and error that meats containing nitrates bother my stomach.  I couldn't figure out why some lunch meats bother me and others don't.  Then I read a blog post on The World According to Eggface about different uses for lunch meat.  It said that post-ops should look for nitrate-free and/or uncured lunch meats.  The light bulb went on and realized that could be the issue:  nitrates.  So, I bought some Applegate Farms lunch meat a couple weeks back and voila:  no more stomach ickiness.

When I was wanting a hot dog, it occurred to me that if nitrate-free lunch meats solved the problem of the stomach ickiness, it stood to reason I should look for the nitrate-free hot dogs.  So, I went shopping last week and got some Applegate Farms beef hot dogs.  They were a little pricey, but since I can no longer eat more than one hot dog at a time, the package will last for awhile.

I hate the feeling of being on a diet so I decided to put the hot dog on the grill, along with Bob's hot dogs and hamburgers.  And since I hadn't had these hot dogs before, I wasn't sure how it would taste if I boiled it.  I figured grilling would give it more flavor, or mask any weird flavors.  Instead of a hot dog roll, I used half of one of those sandwich thins.  I put it in the toaster oven and tucked the sides down through the little cooking rack.  I wanted it to look like a hot dog bun and also not tear when I folded it over.  It came out perfect!  I put about 2 tablespoons of baked beans on the side.

These hot dogs are great!  I didn't miss regular hot dogs at all.  Not one bit.  It had a lot of flavor and tasted just like a regular hot dog, only without that greasy, fatty taste.  It was a clean taste.  I will definitely buy these again.

I was able to finish all but the last bite of the "bun."



No comments:

Post a Comment