Wednesday, July 9, 2014

chocolate milk, post-op version

When I was in the store a few weeks ago I decided I wanted chocolate milk.  Since surgery, I haven't been a milk drinker at all.  That's probably because I spend a lot of time trying to get in all my required servings of water; there just isn't time left to drink milk once all is said and done.  Plus, milk has a lot of carbs and can have a lot of sugar, so I just stay away.

I was grocery shopping and noticed that Hershey has a sugar-free chocolate syrup.  So I grabbed a bottle and then grabbed a carton of Smart Balance fat-free (skim) milk.  Normally I hate fat-free milk (think:  white water), but Smart Balance fat-free milk is made to taste like  2% milk.  I have no idea what kind of magic tricks they use (and I probably don't want to know), but it really does taste like 2%.  Although, the consistency is that of fat-free milk.  I guess one can't have everything.

The other day I decided I would try some chocolate milk, so I mixed up a glass using the Hershey's sugar-free syrup and the Smart Balance milk (yes, this milk stays good for WEEKS).  It mixed up just like regular chocolate milk.

The verdict?  Ick.  I dumped it out.  I'm not sure if I've lost my taste for sweets, or if the Hershey's sugar-free syrup was just gross.  I think it's a little of both, but more the taste of the syrup.  When I took the little seal off the syrup bottle, I licked off the bit of syrup on it (best part of opening a new bottle!) and it tasted very sweet and very fake.

In the future I think I'll just stay away from chocolate milk.  There's really no need for it and it's not like I really crave it anyway.




No comments:

Post a Comment