Wednesday, June 25, 2014

kind dark chocolate, nuts & sea salt snack bar

I stopped at the drug store to grab a few things and saw Kind bars on display.  I've seen them in other stores, but always passed on them because of the higher calories and carbs.  Tonight, however, I was hungry and wanted a snack.  They always look so good - a shiny, clear package; lots of whole nuts; a nice, neat drizzle of chocolate or caramel; and a glistening sheen that just screams, "I'm delicious!  Buy me!"  So, tonight I listened.  I picked the one that had the least amount of sugar:  Kind Dark Chocolate, Nuts & Sea Salt.

I have to admit that I scarfed it down on the way home from the store and it was dark out, so I didn't really get a good look at it; however, it had a really nice crunch and the nuts were very fresh, not oily or soggy. The flavor...well, I was hoping for a chocolate-y sweet and salty snack and it didn't deliver.  It was good, but I really didn't taste the chocolate at all.  And I didn't really get the salty bite I was hoping for, either.  But it's tough to get that flavor when you have so little sugar in it; it has only 5g.

The nutritional stats are decent:  200 calories. 13g fat, 16g carbs, 7g fiber, 5g sugar, and 6g protein. Obviously the high calories and fat come from the nuts, but I like the protein, fiber, and sugar counts.

Overall, I liked it and I would probably have this as a meal (anything that's 200 calories or more is considered a meal).  But I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it.

Just a side note:  I mentioned above that I scarfed this down on the way home.  I've noticed that lately I've been going back to my old habit of eating quickly.  I think it's because I now have a good sense of how much I can eat without getting stuffed.  That's bad and I need to stop that.  That could be another reason why it didn't "hit the spot" like I thought it would.  I had to use the pic below from the Kind website since it didn't occur to me until I already ate the bar that I wanted to blog about it here.  See?  That's because I scarfed it down!  Ah, still a work in progress...






No comments:

Post a Comment