Friday, April 17, 2015

eat through the kitchen progress

I think I've finally hit the wall when it comes to eating chicken.  I'm so tired of chicken.  And guess what I still have in the freezer?  Chicken!  It's what I have with me for lunch today, too.  I'm seriously considering running out for a salad.

I'm defrosting ground turkey at the moment, which I plan to use for stuffed peppers either tonight or tomorrow night.  Normally when I make stuffed peppers I use ground beef and beef flavored Rice-a-Roni, but I made a huge batch of my seasoned brown rice a couple weeks ago and froze half of it.  And since I have only ground turkey, I figure the two will go well together for a batch of stuffed peppers.

It's going well for the most part, but I'm starting to run out of pantry items, like pasta sauce.  I made a batch of homemade sauce last week, but that used up the last of the canned tomatoes I had.  I still have lots of lentils and also some wheat berries, so I'll have to get creative with those.  Especially wheat berries; I've never cooked with them before.

I feel like I've saved some money.  I haven't tracked it, but I'm no longer shopping every single week and coming out with 10 bags of nothing.  I go to the store, but it's usually just to grab a few things, like yogurt, lunchmeat, milk and eggs.

I'm looking forward to the day when I finish up what's in the freezer and can finally buy some beef, but has anyone seen the price of beef lately?  Ridiculous!  I'm sure I'll buy some anyway, though.  I'm really missing it right now, but I refuse to buy it until I've eaten all the other meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment