Monday, March 16, 2015

baked lentils

Here's another Eat Through the Kitchen Challenge meal:  baked lentils.

I made this in January 2014 when I was only about a month and a half out from surgery.  At that time I could barely manage 3 ounces.  I was able to eat more this time, about 2/3 cup. Not sure how many ounces that is in weight, but in volume it's about 6.5 ounces.

I didn't have to buy anything to make this. Surprisingly, I had everything on hand.  Even the cheese.  And even after making this, I still have enough ingredients to make it two more times.  But I won't do that anytime soon; it's a bit of an overkill.  It's amazing to think that only 1 3/4 cup of uncooked lentils makes this much!

I really like this dish:  it's cheap to make; it makes A LOT; it's very easy; and it tastes great.  Even hardcore meat eaters will likely enjoy it.


B.C. (before cheese).  Almost done cooking!


It's done!


My portion.  About 2/3 cup.


Baked Lentils

12 oz. dry lentils
2 cups water
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp dried marjoram
1/8 tsp dried sage
1/8 tsp dried thyme
2 large onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28 oz) can stewed tomatoes, with juice
2 large carrots, sliced
1/2 cup celery, sliced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (as little or as much as you want)

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  2. In a 9X13 pan, combine the water and lentils. Season with the bay leaf, salt, pepper, marjoram, sage and thyme. Stir in onions, garlic, and stewed tomatoes.
  3. Bake covered for 30 minutes. 
  4. Remove from the oven and stir in the carrots and celery. Cover and continue to bake until the lentils and vegetables are tender, about 40 minutes. 
  5. Remove from the oven a third time, stir in the green bell pepper and sprinkle cheese over the top. 
  6. Bake, uncovered, until cheese has melted, about 5 more minutes.



1 comment: