Thursday, January 30, 2014

baked lentils...

Tonight I made baked lentils topped with cheese.  It's a recipe that was recently given to me by my sister-in-law, which was adapted from the More-with-Less Cookbook by Doris Janzen Longacre.  I made my own adjustments to it.  I omitted the celery and peppers.  Not because I don't like them, but because I didn't have celery in the house and the frozen chopped peppers looked like a science experiment so I threw them out.  (I don't bother buying fresh peppers unless I'm making stuffed peppers.)  I followed the recipe as written, but when it was time to add the cheese on top, the casserole just seemed very plain. All I could smell was the onions and canned tomatoes.  It was a little too loose for me.  I guess I expected a thick casserole. I then added a jar of pasta sauce and about a 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese.    That did the trick.  It came out great.  I would make it again, although I would probably halve the recipe.  There's no way we would eat all this before it's time to toss it.

I calculated out all the calories, fat, carbs, and protein and divided that by an approximate number of servings.  Assuming I can eat a full serving, I'll get about 11g of protein.  Here are the pictures:

Before going into the oven.

Finished product.

My approximate serving size.  This is about 3 ounces, 
which is a little much for me in one sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment