Sunday, March 22, 2015

today's breakfast: a properly made egg omelet

I've ate and made many egg omelets in my lifetime.  I make them for my husband and occasionally for myself, but apparently I haven't been making them the right way.  I make them the way my mom did when she cooked for my grandmother:  when one side is done and the egg is no longer liquid, you flip it to finish the cooking. But I've been reading How Cooking Works and am told that that's not the right way to do it.  Not in so many words, but the diagrams imply it.  The proper way is to cook it one one side until the eggs are no longer liquid, put any fillings in the middle, and then roll the omelet onto the plate.  The residual heat cooks the center of the omelet.

I tried making a proper omelet for my husband last week and it was pretty flat.  I'm thinking I used way too much butter in the pan.  I don't usually use so much, but I had a piece of butter to use up.  No sense in putting one little pat of butter in the fridge.  He said it tasted good, though.

So, today I tried making one for myself.  I beat two eggs with a little skim milk (my beloved Fairlife milk) with some salt and pepper.  I used just enough butter to coat a hot pan.  I poured the eggs in and it immediately started to set.  I lifted the corners from the pan and tilted it to let the uncooked egg run underneath.  Once there was almost no runny egg leftover, I added herbed goat cheese in a line down the middle.  The I tilted the pan away from my and tried to nudge the corner over the middle (easier said than done!).  It didn't roll itself like the book says, but I didn't destroy it either. So that was good.  I then brought the pan to the plate and tilted the pan over so the omelet rolled over onto itself, finishing the roll.

I have to say, it tasted better than the omelets I usually make.  Maybe because the inside is cooked just enough to keep it creamy.  It was definitely a little flatter, but I find I now prefer an omelet made this way. It didn't seem as dense, which is good since I can't eat much in volume these days.  Also, the omelet was browned a bit.  Doesn't matter, really, but I keep hearing Chef Ludo Lefebvre in my head, screaming that there should be "no coloration!!"  You'll know what I mean if you watched The Taste last season.  My omelet doesn't look like his, but it was good!

The bonus in all this, other than mastering a proper omelet, is I used up the last of the goat cheese and didn't have to throw it away.  Another meal to help me eat through the kitchen.




No comments:

Post a Comment