Wednesday, May 7, 2014

mexican chicken casserole

Tonight I made a new recipe.  I followed one I found online, but changed it quite a bit.  I used ground chicken instead of canned.  You can use raw boneless skinless chicken breast if you want.  Whatever you have on hand is fine.  I also added corn and used taco seasoning instead of a few other herbs and spices.  it was just easier for me and I thought it would taste better.

I liked it a lot, although next time I would let the mixture cook longer in the pan before I top with cheese and broil.  It wasn't hot enough for me.  I put some sour cream on top.

I had no idea what to call it so this was the best name I could come up with.  It isn't actually baked so I guess it isn't a true casserole, but oh well.

Mexican Chicken Casserole

1 yellow onion chopped
2 green onions, sliced
1 lb ground chicken or turkey, uncooked
1 envelope taco seasoning
3/4 cup water
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
1/2 cup salsa
1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese (or cheddar)
Note:  I'm a cheese fiend so you might want to use less.
Sour cream, for topping (optional)

  1. Cook the ground chicken until nearly cooked through.  
  2. Put the yellow onions in the pan with the chicken and cook until the onions are tender.  
  3. Put most of the green onions in with the chicken and saute for a minute or so.  
  4. Add the taco seasoning and water.  Cook until thickened.  
  5. Add the black beans and corn.  Stir and heat until heated through. 
  6. Pour into a casserole dish or baking pan. Top with the shredded cheese and remaining sliced green onion. 
  7. Broil until cheese is melted and lightly browned. 
  8. Top with sour cream, if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment