Thursday, January 23, 2014

job interview today...

I just got back from a job interview.  Only my second real interview, ever.  Hopefully I get this job; it sounds really exciting.  The bank I worked at for 17 years shut down in September.  I spent a couple months helping the FDIC wrap things up, but I'm now unemployed for the first time ever.  I've been working non-stop since I was 16.  So, 23 years.  Although I'm sad the bank closed and we couldn't continue our mission, I'm glad to have the time to focus on my weight loss.

After weight loss surgery, it's a full time job to get myself on an eating schedule, make sure I get all my water in (1 1/2 to 2 liters a day), get all my protein (70g+), and get all my vitamins.   My new stomach is the size of my thumb, so it's pretty tough to get all that water in, especially when I can't drink a half an hour before meals or a half an hour afterwards.  The purpose of that is to keep the food in my stomach for as long as possible, which will keep me feeling full.  I no longer have the little valve at the bottom of the stomach that opens and closes to all food to pass through or to keep it in the stomach.  Since the bottom of the stomach is now open to the intestines, drinking water too close to a meal, or during it, will allow the stomach to empty out faster.

Surgery was a month ago and I'm just now getting myself into a routine.  Now that a possible new job is on the horizon, I'm starting to wonder how I will keep up the routine at work.  Meals are easy and I can assemble those at home ahead of time, but I'm thinking I will need to set up Outlook reminders so I don't forget the vitamins and will have to bring a big water bottle to work so I can drink at least one liter before I leave work for the day.  Then I will have to drink only half a liter once I get home, eat my dinner, and finish my last vitamin and calcium chew.  Life after weight loss surgery is all about planning ahead so it's never too early to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment