Tuesday, May 26, 2015

ricotta cheese fritters

I've been looking for a use for the big tub of ricotta I bought a couple weeks ago.  I remember buying it for a reason, but quickly forgot about it.  That happens a lot with me.  I find a recipe I want to make, I buy the ingredients, and then I forget about it. So, this morning I decided to make a recipe I found online for ricotta cheese fritters.  Low carb, high protein, and they have lots of ricotta cheese, which I love.

The recipe is very simple to make and it comes together quickly.  I had all the ingredients on hand, but I made two substitutions:  I used ground nutmeg instead of grated (such a pain!) and used almond flour instead of regular flour.  Almond flour has more calories, but it also has more protein and less carbs.

The batter mixed up nice, but I could tell that these fritters might be a little fussy to cook.  The recipe calls for using olive oil for frying, but I didn't want the added calories so I used cooking spray.  I put the batter in the pan and made three fritters in the first batch.  It took awhile for them to set enough for me to flip them.  But even then they were still tough to flip, as the batter was just not thick enough.  The second batch of three came out much better.  The rest were cooked fairly easily without too much fuss.  I also put a few in a separate pan and fried them in olive oil.  It wasn't pretty.  In fact, it was a bit messy.  As soon as the batter hit the hot oil it just started splattering everywhere.  It seemed a bit dangerous, too.  I tried another batch using flour instead of almond flour thinking that the problem was the almond flour, but I had the same results. The fritters were just fussy to cook.

The fritters tasted pretty good, but not good enough for me to go through the hassle of cooking them.  I don't think I will make these again.

Here's the recipe for anyone who wants to try it:  Ricotta Fritters


These aren't burnt, they're just dark.





No comments:

Post a Comment