Friday, May 22, 2015

asian marinade

I got this marinade recipe from Stop & Shop's Peapod Facebook page.  It's actually for flank steak, but all I had was boneless, skinless chicken thighs.  Close enough.  And I actually all the ingredients on hand.  Can you believe it?? (Actually I didn't have fresh ginger, but who usually does?? I used ground ginger.) I figured this would be a good way to use up some items that had been hanging around for awhile, as well as given the chicken something different than seasoned salt.

This was a very easy marinade, but I think putting the plastic bag in the bowl and mixing the marinade in the bag was a little awkward.  It worked, but it made me wonder why the recipe says to do it that way.  I'm guessing it was to save on dirty dishes, but, really, it's just one bowl.

I marinated the chicken overnight; I never cook the meat the same day I marinate, unless I make the marinade in the morning.  But that never happens since I always get up at the last possible minute.

I grilled the chicken.  It was kind of a pain to get the scallions to stay on the chicken, but a few of them did.  I'm guessing they were there more to flavor the marinade than to be grilled along with the chicken.

This tasted great!  The chicken was nice and juicy, and there was lots of flavor.

This is definitely something I would make again.

Here's the recipe:  asian marinade.  (Also below)



Asian Marinade

Ingredients:

1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 Tablespoons honey
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons minced fresh ginger (I used tsp ground ginger)
3 scallions, thinly sliced
Meat of your choice

Directions:

Place a gallon-sized plastic bag in a large bowl and then add the soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and oil to the bag. Whisk in the honey, garlic, ginger and scallions. Add the meat to the bag, flipping it to coat it in the marinade, and then seal the plastic bag.

Place the meat in the fridge and marinate it overnight, or for a minimum of 10 hours.

When ready to cook, remove the meat from the fridge and preheat your cooking surface (grill or stovetop grill pan). Remove the meat from the marinade, discard the leftover liquid, and sear the meat on each side until it's cooked to your desired degree of doneness. Let the meat rest for 5 minutes and then serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment