Sunday, April 30, 2017

chicken pot pie casserole


I realized today, as I was going through my pictures on my SD card, that I never posted this recipe I tried. It's a take on a turkey pot pie. But since it's not Thanksgiving and I didn't have turkey in the house, I used some chicken I had poached for other purposes. So, we'll call it chicken pot pie casserole.

I got the recipe here:  Cauliflower Crust Pot Pie. (She's got a lot of great bariatric-friendly recipes there!) The only changes I made was to sub in chicken for turkey, and I left out the parsley. I don't keep parsley on hand and wasn't about to go buy it just for this. Oh, and I used frozen peas and carrots (2 cups total). The ones that come in the same bag together. It's much faster and easier than dicing raw carrots.

This was a good way to use up some items I had on hand. but either hadn't gotten around to using, or needed to use because there was just so much of it.  I had a small amount of quinoa in the cabinet, and a bag of frozen riced cauliflower that I bought and just hadn't found a use for. I also had that leftover poached chicken. I always buy the 5 pound family pack of boneless skinless chicken breast, so I always have a lot left over after a grilled chicken dinner.


This recipe was easy and it tasted great. My only issue was that it took much longer than 30 minutes for the crust to be done to my liking. I didn't want it to be mushy, so I cooked it for almost an hour so it was crisp up a little and get browned. But that's totally up to you as to how you want it done. 




No comments:

Post a Comment