Friday, February 10, 2017

weekly cookbook project: baking powder biscuits



So, apparently this is what you get when you don't check the expiration date on the baking powder:  very flat biscuits.

Today is my 21st wedding anniversary and I wanted something quick and easy to make, and something I've never made before, so I decided to make biscuits from my Betty Crocker Best of Baking cookbook. I had all the ingredients and I'd fulfill my goal of cooking one recipe per week from my cookbook collection. The plan was to use these to make a nice anniversary breakfast for Bob and I. Maybe some scrambled eggs over biscuits with sausage and gravy.

I started making them and had all the ingredients in the bowl before I decided to check the date on the baking powder. When I did, I realized that can had been in the cabinet for...awhile. Now, baking powder doesn't really go bad, but it loses it's power to make baked goods rise. As you can see from the photo, it definitely lost it.

The biscuits were very easy and quick; however, they took longer than the recommended 10-12 minutes to brown; it was more like 15 minutes. They tasted great, just like biscuits should, and were crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, but they were really flat.

I had visions of sausage, egg and cheese biscuit sandwiches, as well as the biscuits and sausage gravy, but it wasn't meant to be. I ended up serving them along side a chili cheese omelet and sausage for Bob. I had one while I was making my breakfast--one fried whole egg.one egg white, and one turkey sausage link. The biscuit clocked in at 63 calories and was very filling. Add the butter and it was about 110 calories. That's a lot when you're eating only 1,200 calories. So, I plan to try very hard to not touch them.

Lesson learned:  check the expiration date on your baking ingredients--it matters!




No comments:

Post a Comment