Thursday, February 9, 2017

quinoa with cumin and tumeric

I have a ton of spices in my cabinets that I don't use. I also have a bunch of grains I need to use up. Plus an Instant Pot and a day off from work.

Unused spices + lots of bulk grains + Instant Pot + snow day = quinoa with cumin and turmeric.

I don't even remember what I bought the turmeric for at this point.

I didn't want to make plain quinoa, since that can be boring. And I don't have a ton of ingredients in the house to make a quinoa salad or one-pot meal. After Googling for a bit I settled on this recipe, which you can find here.  The only change I made is I didn't add any fresh herbs. I just have them. Although I do have rosemary, but it's buried under a foot of snow at the moment and I wasn't going out there to get it.

This was really easy to make.  Just saute the smashed garlic gloves in olive oil, add the cumin, turmeric, salt, quinoa and water, and then set the Instant Pot for 1 minute at high pressure.

As far as taste, I felt this needed more salt and could have benefited from some onions. I also think it needs less water, as the finished result was a bit mushy and not fluffy like it should have been. I might make it again with the modifications I mentioned, and I might add some chicken to it, too.




No comments:

Post a Comment