Thursday, June 18, 2015

what's new?

It's been an incredibly busy week at work, so I haven't been able to write much.  We're getting ready for an audit, working on a project, and having to do all the other routine things.  Plus, one person is getting ready to take some time off. At least I'm finally in a position where I feel comfortable at work.  Most days I feel like I'm cooking with gas, rather than over a campfire; it's a great feeling.  Can you believe I've been there six months already?

I had my 18-month follow-up with the bariatric surgeon this past Monday.  I lost five pounds in six months.  Not great, but I created a lot of good habits in that time, which is more important in my opinion.  And that doctor was fine with that.  She said it's very normal for the number on the scale to not change too much at this point.  The honeymoon phase is over and I'm just like everyone else now:  I have to watch what I eat and exercise.  I'm thinking another 30 pounds and I'll be at my goal weight.  The doctor gave me a few business cards for plastic surgeons so I can go for a consultation.  I always said I'd never get plastic surgery, but now that I'm living it, it's something I'd like to do at some point.  There's only so far exercise can take me - 40 years of gaining and losing weight over and over does a real number on the body.  It's so expensive, though, and I'm not sure it's "medically necessary" at this point, which is what's required if I want my health insurance to pay for part of it.  I mean, it's uncomfortable sometimes, prone to rashes (yuck!), and it makes shopping for a pants a real hassle, but that's probably not enough to qualify.  We'll see what the future holds. 

I have my first-ever bout of poison ivy.  I got it from all that weeding I did, of course.  It's on my forearm.  Anyone know how long this rash sticks around?  I've had it for a week and a half and it doesn't look any better.  In fact, it's spread a bit. It went from my forearm to the side of my stomach, because I have my arm resting on my side when I sleep on my side.  Any because of all the extra skin, I have some on the tops of my thigh, too (another hassle of having all this extra skin). I'm treating it with Caladyl Clear, but it doesn't show any sign of getting better.  Not sure if I should be going to a dermatologist.

Tomorrow ends a busy week.  I'm having a couple friends over, so that should be fun.  I'm making my artichoke dip, which is delicious.  I'll post the recipe this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment