Sunday, August 31, 2014

dole dippers...yum!

Lately I've been craving cold things:  ice cream, Italian ice, ice water, etc.  Ice cream is something I haven't had since surgery, mainly because of the sugar content.  Plus, I just don't really crave sweets anymore.  I've been wanting something frozen, though.

When I went grocery shopping last week I saw something in the freezer isle that seemed to be a good compromise:  Dole Dippers.  It's frozen chocolate covered bananas or strawberries.  The sugar content is doable for me (all post-ops are different) and since it's fruit, it's not completely in junk food territory. They were on sale for $3.50 a box (not a sale in my book!) so I bought one of each.  There are six packs with four pieces per pack in each box.

I tried the strawberries first.  Just gotta say, these things are tiny!  I don't know what I was expecting considering my past experience with diet foods and serving sizes, but I was surprised nonetheless.  The strawberries are halves, not whole berries, so that was a little disappointing.  And there's only four of them in a single serve package.  BUT there's only 60 calories, 4g fat, 6g carbs, 4g sugar, and a tiny bit of protein. (That won't break the calorie bank.)  I put them in my tiny little bowl so I don't get chocolate all over my fingers. Putting them in the tiny bowl made me sad to see how small the serving was.

So, how do they taste?  Yummy!  Just like you'd expect a frozen chocolate covered strawberry to taste.  Chocolate-y, sweet, refreshing, and very cold.  I really enjoyed these and it completely satisfied my craving for a frozen treat.

Would I buy them again?  If I was feeling lazy and didn't want to make my own, yes.  Or if they were on sale for $3.00 or less per box.  Otherwise, I think they're a bit pricey for what you get.





No comments:

Post a Comment