Tuesday, July 26, 2016

baked egg boats


Whenever Bob goes camping, like this weekend, I usually make a special breakfast for when he gets home on Sunday.  He usually stops for a fast food breakfast, but I like to make something to offset all the burgers and hot dogs he eats while he's gone.  I don't mean I'm trying to offset the calories.  Just making something a little more substantial, like a treat.

While scrolling through Facebook this weekend I found a recipe for baked egg boats.  It looked very quick and easy.  The recipe called for several items I don't have, like pancetta, heavy cream, baguettes, and Gruyere cheese, so I improvised. (OK, so basically I didn't have ANY of the items except the salt, pepper, and eggs.) No need to run out and buy stuff you'll only use once. And, honestly, you can use any ingredients you want here.  Just pre-cook any veggies you use, since they tend to release water upon cooking.

Here's the original recipe:  Baked Egg Boats

Here's my version. It's not a weight loss surgery-friendly recipe, since I wasn't making it for myself.

Baked Egg Boats

Ingredients

4 grinder rolls (long sandwich rolls--everyone calls these something different, depending where you live)
5 eggs
1/3 cup half & half (or milk)
8 breakfast sausgages, sliced
3 ounces shredded sharp cheddar (use any cheese you like, as much as you like)
2 green onions, thinly sliced
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Cut a deep “V” through the tops of each roll. Don't cut through the bottom, and make sure you leave the ends intact so the eggs don't run out.  You want a nice dam to hold it all in. Partially unstuff the rolls. Set aside.
  3. Place the eggs and half & half or milk into a mixing bowl and lightly beat together. Whisk in the remaining ingredients and lightly season with salt and pepper.
  4. Divide and pour the mixture into each roll and place onto a baking sheet. Top with more cheese if you like.
  5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown, puffed and set in the center. Season with salt and pepper. Note:  I baked mine for 35 minutes, and I still had one that wasn't cooked all the way. You'll have to watch and test for doneness.
  6. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, cut and serve.
Note:  Don't throw away the "Vs" you cut out of the rolls. Toast them in the toaster oven and slather with butter.  It will hold you over until the egg boats are done.  I wouldn't want anyone to starve!



No comments:

Post a Comment