Friday, October 14, 2016

seasoned brown rice in the Instant Pot

Last year I found a recipe for seasoned rice, which I've been using ever since:  it's cheaper than buying Rice-a-Roni and you get a whole lot more.

I recently bought an Instant Pot, which I'm loving, and decided to try and make rice in it.  I Googled to determine the correct rice to water ratio, since I'd seen a lot of people posting that the Instant Pot ratios don't seem to be correct.  The ratio I found that works for me is 1 cup of rice to 1.25 cup of water using this method.  So, I revised my seasoned brown rice recipe to work in the Instant Pot.

It came out great and tasted just like it should. It was cooked perfectly.  I made a double batch and froze most of it.



Seasoned Brown Rice
This recipe can easily be doubled.

3 1/2 TB of Seasoning Mix (below)

2 1/2 cups water
2 TB butter
2 cups uncooked brown rice

Directions
  1. Turn the Instant Pot on to Saute. Let it warm up for a couple minutes and then add 1 TB of the butter. Once melted, add the rice and toast for a few minutes.   
  2. Pour the water into the pot and add the other 1 TB of butter.  
  3. Add the seasoning mix and stir. Close the lid.
  4. Press Keep Warm/Cancel on the Instant Pot and then press Manual and set to High Pressure for 15 minutes. Let it cook.
  5. When the cooking is done, let the pressure naturally release, which will take at least 20 minutes or more. Don't use the quick release method, because the rice won't be quite done.  If you want to play around with the rice to water ratio and cooking times, check out this post I found.
Seasoning Mix
Makes enough to season two batches of rice.

2 TB dried basil
2 TB chicken bouillon granules
2 TB dried parsley
2 tsp onion powder
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dried thyme

Combine all ingredients and store in an air tight container.


1 comment:

  1. Your article is very helpful for me. I will follow your instruction. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete