Sunday, October 9, 2016

hard-cooked eggs in the Instant Pot

Last time I posted I said I'd let you know how it goes with the hard-cooked eggs.  Well, it was very easy, the eggs peeled in a cinch, and they were perfectly cooked.  The only issue was that two of them exploded out of the shell.  Not an actual explosion, really. They just burst out of the shell as they cooked.

All I did was put a cup of water in the pot, put a single layer of eggs on the rack that comes with the pot (I was able to fit 14 eggs), close it up and set the cooker to "Manual" and "Low Pressure" for 7 minutes. I then turned it off and quick-released the pressure. Rinsed the eggs in cold water and I was done!  Total time was about 20 minutes, since it takes about 5 to 10 minutes for the pot to come up to pressure.

The eggs were perfectly cooked. You can adjust the cooking time based on how done you like the yolks. Decrease for moist yolks, increase for firmer yolks.

Update:  Forgot to add that these eggs were SOOOO easy to peel!!  I'm convinced that this is the way to go when making eggs now. Almost nothing worse than a hard-boiled egg that won't let go of it's shell. More than once I've given up and just tossed the egg in the garbage because half the egg white is still attached to the shell.


 

Here's one of my exploded eggs. Looks funky, but it tasted just fine.


As you can see, there's a bit of a dark ring around the yolk, which is likely because I let them sit 2 extra minutes after cooking. 


No comments:

Post a Comment