Friday, October 30, 2015

time to write a book!

In case you didn't know, November is National Novel Writing Month.  And there's a website for it: http://nanowrimo.org/.  The idea is to write a novel, at least 50,000 words, during the month of November. I've signed up and on Sunday I will start my book.

I've always wanted to write a book ever since I can remember.  Maybe because I love to read.  I always enjoyed creative writing classes in high school and college.  I got some great feedback on the short stories I wrote; I still have them stored away somewhere.

Originally I was going to write about my family.  My mom used to always say that she would love to have a book written about our family.  I don't think we're much different than any other family,--I'd argue that we're less drama-filled that most families-- but maybe she was thinking more of a family history for generations to come.  But then I realized I'd have to put a lot of effort into research and interviews before I could even start writing, and I just don't have the time for that right now; work is really busy and that takes up most of my mental bandwidth.

I've decided I'm going to write about my weight struggles.  It shouldn't be difficult, since it's all about me.  Literally.  The only issues I might have are keeping up with the daily writing and doing it consistently, and organizing it.  I tend to just write whatever I want when the mood strikes me; I'm not much for organizing my thoughts ahead of time.  I'm thinking I might write down a rough outline this weekend, so at least I have a bit of structure to it.

Wish me luck!  Who knows?  Maybe I'll have a best seller on my hands. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment