Thursday, August 18, 2016

updated exercise routine: more sets of the same thing...i'm bored!

So, my trainer got me geared up for a change to my workout routine I do at home. He said he would be "making it harder." I was so excited to think I'd be doing something different--I'm totally bored with the kettle bell swings and squat jumps--but no, he gave me more of the same: one more set of everything. Needless to say, I was pretty deflated when I got the email.

So, here it is:

The new routine consists of:
  • Jogging in place, jumping jacks and mountain climbers, alternated three times for a total of 8 minutes
  • 4 sets of 20 walking lunges holding two 10 lb. free weights to do curls while lunging
  • 4 sets of 20 body squats holding one 10 lb. free weight
  • 4 sets of 20 kettle bell swings with a 20 lb. kettle bell
  • 4 sets of 15 squat jumps (I still HATE these!)
  • 4 sets of 15 pushups
  • 3 sets of 15 reverse lunges using a 20 lb. kettle bell (not liking these anymore...boring!)
  • 3 sets of 15 sumo uprights using a 25 lb. kettle bell
  • 4 sprints, 50 yards each
  • Stretching exercises for my back and hamstrings
  • Plank, as long as I can hold it
I have to say, this was really tough the first time through. I had to rest quite a bit. It's getting easier, but I find I'm still out of breath for much of the time.

Although I'm not thrilled at all with having pretty much the same routine, I realize the purpose of it: to build endurance and strength. I'll admit to sometimes changing it up once a week, though, and just doing my own thing. I just pick several exercises I do at the studio and do three sets of each. I do that in order to avoid the boredom. If I'm bored, I'm much more likely to quit. And I don't want to do that when I'm so close to being ready for skin removal surgery.




No comments:

Post a Comment