Thursday, May 29, 2014

lily's no sugar added chocolate

I've been trying sugary items here and there, but I've found that I no longer crave sweets in any form. Typically I have one bite and that's it.  I find if I have any more than that, my stomach doesn't feel quite right for a few minutes.  Most of the time I don't bother, because I don't like that feeling and sweets just don't have the allure they used to have.  And that's fine with me.  

Now that I've had gastric bypass ("GB") surgery, it's important that I limit my sugar intake.  Too much sugar is usually bad for anyone, but with GB patients, it especially bad because lots of us are now very sensitive to sugar and it can cause something called dumping syndrome.  

Dumping syndrome is defined as:  "a group of symptoms most likely to develop if you've had surgery to remove all or part of your stomach, or if your stomach has been surgically bypassed to help lose weight. Dumping syndrome occurs when the undigested contents of your stomach are transported or 'dumped' into your small intestine too rapidly.  In addition, people with this syndrome often suffer from low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, because the rapid "dumping" of food triggers the pancreas to release excessive amounts of insulin into the bloodstream." (I got that from www.thinnertimesforum.com).  Symptoms can include:  nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, cramps, diarrhea, dizziness, lightheadedness, bloating, belching, heart palpitations, rapid heart rate, sweating, weakness, fatigue, shakiness, feelings of anxiety, nervousness, mental confusion, and low blood sugar (hypoglycemia).  

I don't think I've experienced dumping.  Yet.  I do feel quite tired when I've eaten a little too much, similar to how we feel after eating a big Thanksgiving dinner, but I don't think it's dumping. 

I went in search online for good sugar-free chocolate, mainly because I wanted to try a protein donut recipe and it called for coating the donuts in melted SF chocolate.  I found several brands that are supposed to be very good, but, of course, I couldn't find them in the store.  So, I went to Whole Foods, because they usually have items you can't find at regular grocery stores.  

I found Lily's No Sugar Added in milk and dark chocolate flavors.  It was $3.99 a bar and it's a good size - 3 oz.  And they're sweetened with Stevia.  

These bars melt very well and taste great.  They taste just like regular chocolate; I couldn't tell the difference.

My typical serving size is about 2 squares.  I don't have it everyday.  Maybe once a week.









2 comments: