Wednesday, January 16, 2019

tuna noodle casserole


It's been so long since I made tuna noodle casserole, I just had to post it. I tend to make it only a few times a year. Not because it's difficult, but because I just don't think of it. Or I do and then I don't have the ingredients (of course!).

This isn't the tuna noodle casserole from your childhood, made with condensed cream soup. Nothing wrong with that, but this version is so much better. Rather than cream soup, you make a roux with butter and flour, and then add milk. There's also some sherry in there, as well as onions and soy sauce, among other things.  The recipe calls for mushrooms, but I don't use those since my husband doesn't like them. Also, I use whatever pasta I have on hand. I find this to be pretty easy and the results are delicious. I especially love the topping, which is bread crumbs, cheddar and olive oil. It comes out crunchy and cheesy.  I don't eat much of it since I don't really eat pasta anymore and it's very filling.

Here's the recipe:  Tune Noodle Casserole



3 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy!! I have to try this one

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make this as a tuna mornay, no noodles and no baking, I sometimes serve it over rice but it goes great on a sweet potato or regular potato, broccoli is a good vegetable to serve it on or even just by itself. Zoodles - zucchini noodles - would probably be brilliant here.

    I have many tricks I have added to this over the years - I never make the roux without adding some freshly minced garlic cooked for a short time in a little olive or rice bran oil to the butter because I find that less lumpy and can get a better consistency that way. If you do onions or leeks those can also be added in with the oil, bacon can go in there too but I would usually cook that first for a bit longer before adding the garlic, butter, etc. I use this same roux as the base for my chicken and bacon pasta too. I add in touch - very tiny one! - of white wine in with the butter before adding the flour.

    I add in a tin of creamed corn once the roux is made if it is going to be a mornay. I will usually have many vegetables in here as well - carrots,

    When I was in my last year of high school I did catering with some old-school ladies and one of them made tuna mornay so incredible - once it was all put together, she would put the heat on super high and then add in two eggs, the egg would distribute through the roux and make it super creamy and awesome.

    Now I am hungry for this, but it is pizza night, lol. :)

    ReplyDelete