Monday, December 31, 2018

Happy New Year!


Our tradition, which started a few years ago when I first discovered these candles at Old Sturbridge Village, is to burn a real bayberry candle down to the nub on both Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. Although it can be done on either night, I choose to burn one on both nights. Everyone can use a little extra good fortune, right? 

According to tradition:  "A bayberry candle burned to the socket puts luck in the home, food in the larder, and gold in the pocket."


2018 was a fairly quiet year, which is good--I needed a rest after 2017. No new kitties this year, and the only major event really was the announcement that the bank for which I work was acquired and I'd be losing my job this coming February. Not ideal, but I was beginning to feel that it was time to move on anyway. This just gave me the push I needed. In terms of my health, I fought a lot with chronic back pain and my eating is not what it should be, but I'm working out regularly and that is helping keep both the pain and my weight under control.

In 2019, the plan is to get the back pain under control, my eating back on track and to deal with a few things in my financial life. And to find a new job that makes me happy. 

Happy New Year!



2 comments:

  1. My mother was into the bayberry candle for luck thing. She had one other rule. The candle had to be a gift--so I was tasked with that most years. One year I bought her a 3-wick candle and she was SO mad (too much burn time). I hope your candles bring you health, wealth and wisdom. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, a three-wick candle would take a long time to burn. I use the tapers and I'm finally at the point where I remember to light it earlier so that it's not burning all night. The first year I lit it probably around 8pm, which meant I had to bring it up to the bedroom so it wasn't unattended. Now I start it around 5pm.

      Delete