Saturday, September 30, 2017

my third, and final, stitch fix

Yesterday I got my third Stitch Fix box. I was again hopeful that it would include items that were better-fitting and more to my liking, though my hopes had decreased a bit and I wasn't overly optimistic.

I mentioned last time that I planned to ask for them to send me Misses XL for the tops rather than Women's 1X, as I've found the 1X to be a little big. I also asked that I get a necklace or bracelet, no earrings, and pants rather than jeans. They came through on all three requests, but with mixed results.

Here's what I got this time around:  three tops, one pair of pants, and a necklace. All three tops are a Misses XXL (their sizes run a little smaller).

This top is extremely sheer and there's absolutely no way I'd be able to wear it without a tank top or something similar underneath. Even then, the tank top would be completely visible. Probably fine for going out, but not for work, which, given the fabric and pattern, seems to be meant for work. The fit was fine other than the armholes being a little light. It's going back, though, simply because of the sheerness. The price is $44.00, which I think is a little high considering it can't realistically be worn on its own.


This top I like, and I may keep it. I'm not sure, though, because  but it fits rather large and makes me look much bigger than I am. Also, I feel like I can get similar for much less money and won't make me look three sizes bigger. It's disappointing, because it matches perfectly with the tan cardigan I bought from the first box I got.  The price is $54.00.


I was really skeptical when I pulled this one out of the box. It has a zipper on each shoulder, and the fabric crisscrosses in front. I tried it on and was actually pleasantly surprised...until I turned to the side. It makes me look huge, as though I'm 343 pounds again. I considered it for a moment when I put a cardigan over it, but it still makes me look big. Nope, going back. The price is $58.00. 


I was also skeptical about these pants, but only because they say "straight leg" on the tag. I generally don't like that style; I'm a skinny jeans/pants girl all the way and I'm SO HAPPY that skinny is back in style now that I can actually fit into them! I really love the material of these pants, which is heavy and very soft, Perfect for fall and winter. They are very comfortable and seem to fit well in most areas; however, because they're a Women's 16, the hips are slightly loose, which make the thighs a little loose, too. Therefore, they look like a poor fit.  I was going to keep these, but I'm sending them back. At $88.00, I should LOVE them, but I don't. I want to get out of the mindset that I should settle for things I "mostly like" and not make the effort to find things I love.


And the necklace. I didn't like it at first; however, when I put it on with the white/orange blouse above, it looked nice. But it's $34.00. As I've said in my previous two posts, I just can't justify spending that much on costume jewelry. I'm just not comfortable enough yet with the whole "statement jewelry" thing where I'm willing to spend that much, especially when it's not something I can wear with everything.


So, I've decided I'm going to cancel Stitch Fix. The main reason is the fit. The tops are either too big in the body, too small in the sleeves, or just not my thing. The pants/jeans seem to be great in terms of length, but one pair I could barely get past my thighs and the other (above) was a little loose, which made them look like a poor fit. The things is, all the pants are the same size!  Also, I've noticed that a piece of clothing isn't available in both Misses and Women's, so if a top is too big in a 1X, I can't size down to an XL or vice versa.

I just don't think that mail order is my thing anymore. Since I'm sometimes a Misses XL and other times a Women's 1X, and pants can vary a lot in length and fit, I think I need to stick to the store so I can try things on. I guess it's a nice problem to have after many years of being on the high end of Women's sizes, but it's definitely frustrating nonetheless. Actually, I think it's a little harder to shop now than it was before.

I think Stitch Fix would be great for someone who is a solid, consistent Misses or Women's size, and is looking to try new fashions. It's just not for me. 


2 comments:

  1. I think it might be worth giving Gwynnie Bee a go. ;) At least two bloggers I know use it and love it. One of them wrote a post just this week about a dress they got in a size that was slightly too big, and they can size down and try again. And they have a 30 day free trial right now. :)

    http://authenticallyemmie.com/2017/09/faux-fall-gwynnie-bee-leota-dress/

    If I had access to a service like that I would use it, for sure. Especially as they seem to do a LOT of wrap dresses and I love a wrap dress so, so much. Have you tried on a wrap dress? Do you like a dress, or do you prefer separates?

    Dresses are the ultimate in easy dressing for me. Pretty much everything is right there in the dress, but then they are so easy to layer up too. I have my mesh tops which can go underneath, and many little bolero cardigans which can go over the top if the weather cools down.

    I have a number of leggings which I can wear under dresses. I'm not always comfortable with my legs out. Not that they are not great, they are perfectly fine, it is just with my thyroid situation I do have a tendency to get cold faster than most people. Some of my leggings are fleece lined which keeps me lovely and warm in the evenings.

    For me, I check several fashion websites who have stores locally at least once a week for the new arrivals. If I see something I really love, the next time I am near that store I drop in and check it out. Sometimes the material is wrong, or in one case recently a top I thought I would love turned out to be that "crinkly" style as in they have deliberately made it crinkly and that is not something I enjoy.

    Just yesterday I was looking through one of the fashion websites and one of the new dress arrivals made me gasp out loud. It is currently nearly $90 and that is half price, which is not something I am likely to pay. But that store regularly does $50 dresses so next time I am there, I will try it on and establish what size I need, and if I actually like it on, and the material.

    I was in Target yesterday - well not the real Target, because we have "country" Target here, which is like removing all the awesomeness of Target and leaving.. well, whatever is left. I am not a fan.

    Maybe 20 years ago I bought some t-shirts at Target which I still have and wear to this day. I thought I saw something similar on a recent drive by the store but it turned out they were a thin material and Not Great cut. They had just got the Christmas t-shirts in, and it was yet another time where the plus size option was far better than the option for not plus size. The smallest size they had was 16, it would have been far too big for me. :(

    I have been meaning to write a fashion post, I guess it is time as I seem to have a lot to say here! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll make sure to check that website, although I'm not big on dresses like I used to be. Mainly because our office switched to business casual, which means I generally stick to pants nowadays.

      And yes, it sounds like you need a fashion post very soon! LOL

      Delete