Saturday, September 16, 2017

my second stitch fix

I posted a few weeks back about my first Stitch Fix box. It was kind of a mixed bag for me, but I ended up keeping two items.

I scheduled my next fix to come this week, since I was excited and didn't want to wait another week. It arrived yesterday. Early verdict (before trying anything on):  promising, and better than the first one.

Here's what I got. (Note: The colors are better and brighter in real life. I took these with my cell phone in a room that is kind of dark.)

I really like this sleeveless shirt. It's very soft, it's the right length, I LOVE the color and it matched the tan cardigan they sent me last month. It's a little too big, though. I was going to keep it, but then realized I would be settling. I've settled for clothing all my life and I'm not doing it anymore. I'm not buying it unless it fits right, looks good, and I like it. The price on this is $38.00, which is pretty reasonable. Size is Women's 1X.


I like this flannel shirt on the hanger and I love the colors.  You probably can't tell from the picture, but the back buttons up and has a slit that goes up to the waist. I was hopeful yet skeptical, because I just don't look good in collared shirts. I was right. It looks awful on me. Plus it seems to not really hang the right way and is a little big. Sleeves are slightly tight at the top. The price on this is $58.00.  I think it's a bit much for this shirt. Size is Misses XXL.




I'm iffy about this blouse. It's better than the one they sent last month, but it's still a bit "old" and not really my style anymore. It's a blouse that I would've settled for before I lost weight. I like the colors, but it was way too big.  The price on this is $48.00, which is about what I would expect to pay at some place like Dress Barn or another store that sells business casual clothing. Size is Women's 1X.


These jeans! (Well, jeggings. They're not the typical button-and-zip jeans.) I love the color and the fit, as well as the double seam on the side. HOWEVER...I thought I was going to need to Crisco my legs to get these on. It was a struggle to get these up my legs and over my hips. It actually hurt, too, because I just got the "dog ears" fixed on my tummy tuck scar and the stitches came out yesterday. They looked great once I was able to hike them up, but it was a lot of work.  Then it was time to take them off.  I practically had to peel them off my legs. These felt slightly too short to me. The price is $78.00, which I feel is kind of high. I've never been one to spend a lot on jeans, though, so that might be reasonable to a lot of women.  But if I'm going to actually spend that much, they better be long enough (I'm 5'11"), fit well in the waist, and look awesome on me. Something weird I noticed on the tag:  it says to not sit on light colored upholstery or come in contact with light clothing.  So, yeah, another requirement if I'm spending $78.00 is that the color needs to, you know, stay on the jeans. The size is Women's 1X.  Not sure how, as they felt about two sizes too small.




And then there's the earrings. Yuck is all I can say. This is something I would never, ever wear. I didn't even try them on. I love the color, but the style is not for me. I held them up to my ears and they didn't look right at all. The price is $38.00, which is a lot for costume jewelry.


Final verdict on this fix:  not keeping it. I'm sending everything back. The shirts were too big and made me look bigger than I am, the jeans are too small and a little short, and I don't like the earrings at all.

As far as sticking with Stitch Fix, I'm going to give it one more shot. It's not that I don't like what they send me--I do for the most part.  Sure, a few things aren't to my taste, but I like most of the items. Also, they seem to listen when I say, "Send me something to match the tan cardigan I bought last month." They did--the purple sleeveless shirt. I asked for lighter colored jeans, and they sent them. The issue is sizing. After losing the weight and having the tummy tuck, it seems I'm kind of in between sizes:  I'm not consistently a Women's 1X or 16, and I'm not consistently a Misses XL or 16. I've asked that they send me Misses sizes next time to see if that helps. If not, then I plan to cancel.


7 comments:

  1. So maybe a thought on how you can extend the usefulness of this - you liked the colour and the material of that shirt. Can you visit a few stores this weekend and try on anything you see in that same colour in your size?

    I don't necessarily think you are in between sizes, it is just nothing is sized like it once was. I can fit in a 10 and a 16 in the same store and brand. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's actually what I've been doing. After I got my Fix last month, I built on the idea by finding some sleeveless tops at the store to go with the cardigan I kept. My plan is to find that same color shirt in the store now that I know it matches the cardigan. :) I think it helps me to see what matches, as I'm color matching-challenged.

      Delete
    2. I would also suggest taking a look at the clearance sections of HSN and QVC, and maybe watching some of their shows with designers because they often put together outfits during the shows and talk about what things you could wear with other things. I think Isaac Mizrahi does one there, which I would watch in a second, I love that guy. :)

      Delete
  2. I like the purple sleeveless top, but the other tops look so matronly! I am not crazy about patterns (unless they are animal print, but honestly - leopard print is a neutral!) and really don't like these.

    I also agree with you on the earrings. It looks like someone deconstructed a sofa pillow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yeah - what is it with SLEEVES? If an item actually has sleeves, I would like them to be big enough to fit my arms. I don't think it's unreasonable for me (5'5", 142 lbs) to expect that the sleeves of a shirt that fits the rest of my torso actually be able to accommodate my biceps. (Looking at you, H&M. Do your fit models have twigs in place of arms?)

      Delete
    2. HAHA! I was thinking curtain tiebacks, but sofa pillow tassels fit also.

      You would have like my outfit last night: LEOPARD PRINT sleeveless blouse, the tan cardigan from Stitch Fix I got last month, denim rolled ankle pants (more like capris on me) and gold-ish sandals. I also added a nice beaded necklace, too. I looked awesome, if I do say so myself. And I was impressed that I was able to put together an outfit all by myself!

      Delete
  3. Have you thought of trying ThredUP? Not sure how you feel about second hand clothes, but I love it! Some of the items even have the original price tags on it. I usually don't pay over 8.99 for a shirt from them. Same deal as Stitch Fix - you try on the clothes and send back what you don't like, but definitely doesn't break the bank. I keep about 50% of what I order. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete