Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Pure Protein Plus Bar

I know I've been quiet for a bit, but I had some things come up at home lately. I'll be posting about that soon. I'll also go back to my weekly cookbook project now that I'm getting back to cooking meals. For now, though, here's a review of a protein bar I picked up last week for an out-of-town trip.

I had to go out of town last weekend and had to stop at the drug store to get some Advil, a birthday card, some snacks for the trip, and pick up photos I had printed. I decided to grab a couple protein bars since I've been really off my game with protein since my tummy tuck.  I saw this one and decided to grab it.  I bought the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough flavor since that's all the store had (drug stores don't usually have a good selection of quality protein bars and flavors).


It's got 21 grams of protein, 200 calories, 15 grams of fiber, and only 2 grams of sugar. There's also 4 grams of sugar alcohols. I normally avoid sugar alcohols as they tend to not agree with me, but I knew 4 grams wouldn't cause any problems.

I've had the Pure Protein ready-to-drink protein shakes before and found them to be very sweet, so I never really used them as a new post-op unless that was all that was available.  I should have remembered this and just walked on by these bars.  I think they were going for a bar that has the look and feel of a Quest bar, but they missed the mark. Big time. It looks like a Quest bar and the texture is somewhat similar, but the taste....barf. I don't even know how to describe the taste, really. It didn't taste anything like chocolate chip cookie dough. The "chocolate chips" were kind of like little flakes that had some crunch to them. The ingredient list says "chocolate flavored chunks," but these were absolutely NOT chunks. I ate about 1/3 of the bar and threw it out.

I would say if there's absolutely nothing else you can find in the store and this is your only option to get a big chunk of protein in for the day, go for it. Otherwise, if you have the time and inclination, go to another store and get something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment