Sunday, July 15, 2018

a night with my favorite authors

Several weeks ago I met my favorite authors:  Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. I've been waiting so long to meet them, and the stars finally aligned to make it happen!

They were doing a book signing and a short Q&A at the Mark Twain House, which is only 30 minutes away. I've been waiting for what feels like forever to be able to attend one of their signings. Every time they had a book tour, the nearest stop was usually in New York and I couldn't get the time off from work to go, or it was in Connecticut and I was either out of town, had to work, or just couldn't go for whatever reason. Finally the stars aligned this year and I was able to go. The ticket was $25.00 and that included a hardcover copy of their new book, The Pharoah Key, which they would sign after the Q&A session. I saw the event pop up on my Facebook feed, and I immediately bought two tickets, not even knowing who would go with me yet. As it turned out, I had to go alone. My husband ended up having to work and my friend was sick. I still had a good time, though. I ended up selling the extra book to someone on Facebook who couldn't make it.

These guys write thrillers and often write as a team, although they do write solo novels, as well. My brother turned me onto them years ago when I was looking for some book suggestions--I could always count on him for good book recommendations. I've read pretty much every book they've written with the exception of their non-fiction books and one of their series.

My favorite books are from the Pendergast series. The first book I read from these authors, part of the Pendergast series, was Still Life With Crows. This was my first introduction to FBI Special Agent A.X.L. Pendergast.  He's an agent like no other:  not only is he an FBI agent that mostly takes only the cases that interest him--for the annual salary of $1.00--, he's former U.S. Special Forces; comes from old New Orleans money; splits his time in New York City between his dark mansion and his apartment; is chauffeured about town in a 1959 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith; has mastered multiple languages, martial arts, and combat techniques; is a Doctor of Philosophy; and is almost albino in color and dresses like an undertaker--always a black suit. Also, he can get himself out of any situation imaginable. I found this neat little website that talks about Pendergast, his interests, family history, etc. While reading this book I remember being amused at how fussy and particular this guy was:  he had all of his favorite foods and drinks (caviar; absinthe, which he drinks the French way), books and furnishings shipped to the town in which he was staying while working on the case. I remember  thinking, "Who the hell is this guy??" Anyway, I've read every book in the Pendergast series, and they just can't publish them fast enough for me! I just finished City of Endless Night, which I enjoyed. I now have to wait all the way until November until the next one...

Preston and Child have another series, the Gideon Crew series, which I haven't read yet. The Pharoah Key is the last book in this series, and is the one they gave us at the book signing. I'm thinking this series is next on my list while await another Pendergast book. Actually, I did read one book in the series, Beyond the Ice Limit, mainly because it was the sequel to another book of theirs, The Ice Limit, that didn't feature Gideon Crew. (I have to say, the "creature" in Beyond the Ice Limit really freaked me the hell out. Deep water scares me to begin with--I actually have a physical reaction--but imaging this thing in my head was too much at times. Basically it's this thing, but underwater and...living...OK onto something else!)

The Q&A was interesting. They talked about the idea for The Pharaoh Key, which actually came about around 20 years ago while Douglas Preston was at an archaeological dig in Egypt. They talked about adventures in writing as a team and how they accomplish that, where the ideas for characters come from, etc. I enjoyed it. They're very funny, down to earth guys. 






Once it was over the assistants  had us line up in the lobby to have our book signed. They gave us a sticky note, on which we had to write our name and/or desired inscription, and then place it on the title page. It took maybe 20 minutes to get through the line, which wasn't bad at all. A couple people asked to take a picture with them and they obliged (wish I'd done that!). A couple others brought a few other books to be signed and they were OK with that. While I was waiting in line I was planning what to say and how to say it; I didn't want to be a star-struck babbling idiot. I ended up thanking them for coming to CT, and telling them how much I love their books and that they just can't publish them fast enough or make them long enough for me. I told them 1,200 pages would be just about right. Lincoln winked at me and said I'd be waiting about three years for every book if they did that. I also told them that it was all my brother's fault that I started reading their books, because he's the one that turned me onto them and it's him I have to thank. They said to tell my brother that he has impeccable taste in books and to thank him for making the recommendation all those years ago. I didn't have the heart to tell them he passed away last year, so I just smiled and said I would make sure to tell him. I imagine he was there with me, so he knows.

And that's it. It was over just like that. Less than two hours. But it was SO worth it to finally meet the guys that keep the Kindle app fired up and the pages turning.

No comments:

Post a Comment