Sunday, February 11, 2018

antique store finds: kitchen goods

When I was younger, I went through a phase where I wanted to buy stuff at antique stores. I don't know why, really, since I hated having to clean the stuff; I own cats, which basically destroy everything; and I just didn't really have any meaningful decor theme in my house back then. Then I went through a phase where I wouldn't touch anything in an antique store, which was good because I didn't even up stuff I had to dust or put away because the cats would break it. Now that I own a house that was built in 1735, I'm rediscovering antique stores. 

What's different now? I'm buying things that I actually like and I can use. Awhile back I bought a sifter, a couple serving dishes, some cast irons pans, and some Pyrex and Corning Ware; it's all useful stuff and I actually do use it. (Here are a few of the items.)

Bob and I went to Sturbridge, MA, for our 22nd wedding anniversary this past weekend. We stayed at the Oliver Wight House, which is an historic inn built in 1789 that has 10 rooms. We went to the Mid-Winter Mischief program at Old Sturbridge Village, which was fun. It was an indoor/outdoor immersive experience--kind of like a moving play with some education and food mixed in. We then visited a few antique stores we like, such as Ye Country Mercantile and Sturbridge Antique Shops. We bought a few things for the house that we will actually use! Then it was dinner at Fins and Tales in Southbridge. I had a small Cesar salad (they make their own dressing) and the baked brie. The brie was divine! Very sinful. It was baked in a puff pastry and served with pineapple chutney, sliced apples, a strawberry and crostini. Bob had the grilled tenderloin tips with a couple stuffed shrimp and mashed potatoes (he didn't eat his asparagus!), with vanilla creme brulee for dessert. 

Bob bought a candle chandelier at Ye Country Mercantile (below), which he will electrify and install in the dining room. The light we have now is nice, but the sockets are loose, which makes some of the bulbs go on and off. Plus the antique one will fit right in with the house. (Although, it will be hanging over a dining room table we bought new in the early 2000s, so it will be out of place until we can afford to get something more in keeping with the age of the house. We'll just say our decor will be "eclectic" for awhile...)  

This picture below is from their Facebook page and is the cover of their magazine, American Country Magazine. If you look at the chandelier hanging, that's what Bob bought, although it didn't have the light sockets. When he's done with it, it will look like this. I'm very excited! He also bought two small lanterns that have been electrified, and we'll use those on our bedroom night stands. (I forgot to take a picture.)


I bought some kitchen items:  a big turned wooden bowl and four old wooden spoons (picture below). I have a love for a good wooden spoon, which goes back to using my mom's when I was growing up. I've had some since then, but they were the cheapo ones that were kind of flimsy and may or may not have actually been wood. I do have two that I like, but I really wanted some antique spoons. And yes, I do plan to use them!  The wooden bowl is pretty big and it's turned. Turning is the method used to make the bowl. Basically, it's similar to how a pottery wheel works, but you're using wood and sharp tools.  I don't know how old the bowl is, but it looks to be probably 1800s. I also bought four wooden spoons. Do I need four of them? No. But I liked them and they are of various sizes. Two of them have deeper bowls with either a longer or shorter handle, one had a shallow, wide bowl and the handle has a lip on, which means you can hang it on the rim of your cooking pot, and the fourth one has a shallow bowl with a longer handle. Three of the spoons I bought at Ye Country Mercantile. The bowl and the other spoon came from Sturbridge Antique Shops.  I'm not sure what I'll do with the bowl yet. I think I'll use it as a centerpiece on my dining room table for awhile until I decide I want to use it. 


These candles (below) are from Ye Country Mercantile. The owner, who is a really nice guy, makes these candles himself. They're 16 oz. and about the size of a medium jar candle from Yankee Candle, but they're much stronger. According to the owner, he uses wax that has the strongest scent-throw you can get. Let me tell you, these are SO STRONG! They're so strong that when I burn one, I put it in the other room. I can actually smell it throughout the whole house, upstairs and down. Seriously. They cost $18.00 in the store. If you want to buy them online, he charges $19.00. I truly feel this is a better candle than Yankee for the price. When I first saw them I thought, "Hell no! I'm not spending $18.00 on a candle (that isn't Yankee)!" But OMG it was so worth it! I don't know how to describe the scents I bought. Olde Fashioned Spoon Bread smells like cinnamon buns baking in the oven--this one is VERY strong! Olde Cabin Kitchen is similar, but lighter in scent. O'Tannenbaum basically smells like a fresh-cut Christmas tree. Oh, and he also sells the candle scents in the form of room spray. I have to say, too, that I love the way they have the store laid out. Everything is very neat and you can actually get to the items. I hate when I go into an antique store and stuff is piled everywhere. I like that there are several rooms that are set up like actual rooms (dining, living, bed, etc.) so you can get an idea of how the piece might fit in with your house. That's something I need a lot of help with, as I don't have an eye for that stuff.


This item below I got a few weeks ago at a local shop that just opened up a few months ago, Turnpike Antiques & Vintage.  It's a meat cleaver. It's been in the shop every time I've stopped in, and every time I stop to look at it, pick it up, think about it, then put it back. Finally I decided to buy it. It was only $28.00, so I figured, "Ah, what the hell." I have to take it to be sharpened because, yes, I plan to use it. You can't tell from this picture, but it's quite heavy and it's large. I believe it could easily split a roaster chicken in half in one whack. Bob looked a little scared when he saw me admiring it. Must have been the look in my eye...


At some point I'd like to get a dining room table from either the 1700s or 1800s, but it's going to be awhile before that happens. I eventually would like to get more antique pieces and decorate in the primitive or early colonial style, but it will take awhile (and money!) to find exactly what I'm looking for. I don't want to just run out and buy things without any real thought as to where they will go, how I will use them or how they'll fit into the house in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment